Friday 25 October 2013

The definition of success and the double edged sword of effort

This very short post came about from an application for a coaching apprenticeship at the World Athletics Centre in Arizona, where I hope to spend a couple of weeks in December.

As I was filling it in, I was anticipating something similar to a tax return form but actually it included a number of very thought provoking questions which I really enjoyed answering and made me think of how I view success.

So, I thought I would share a couple of my thoughts to those questions.

What does success look like to you?

Success to me means getting the maximum potential out of yourself. This can be for an individual event or a particular time frame, irrespective of winning.

It doesn’t have to be confined to sport but for the context of this answer I will keep that as the focus. Satisfaction or success ultimately seems to correlate with that feeling that you absolutely did your best. I think the feeling of disappointment ties in very much with knowing the preparation or the execution of that event was not to the expected level. You can also have feelings of disappointment from winning events and similarly feel success whilst at the same time losing. So in short, I think it is a reflection of whether you feel you did everything to obtain the goal in mind.

Success as a coach would mean I did my absolute best to maximise the physical and mental potential of my athlete. It involves a huge range of variables but perhaps a start would be a commitment to fully understand training methodology and the chosen sport and “how” to apply it to that particular athlete. The selection of appropriate short term and long-term goals and the ability to adapt is part of the very difficult question of the “how”!

What are the 3 most important factors that determine your success?

Success as a coach I think for me starts with the commitment to learn. This learning process is on going and involves constant questioning and evaluation of knowledge and the ability to be humble and open to new ideas to acquire a strong knowledge base.

Ultimately success as an athlete and as a coach will involve “non-achieving” so the ability to be honest, reflect and improve is very much part of that process.

This has been one of the biggest factors that have determined my past successes. Working and surrounding yourself with excellent people with good attitudes, is a way to fast track learning and building a knowledge base.

SENSE OF HUMOUR!!!

Just an observation about effort

Yesterday at Track Academy in Willesden Green where I am doing my work placement with young elite sprinters, we were in the general preparation phase and working on the acceleration phase. It was interesting to see that the harder the effort and the more "grunting" and excess tension, the slower the time. Use and focus of effort is so important to performance and that can be learnt. It took me years to realise that actually "trying" harder actually just sabotages performance. Learning to relax in movement and focus on the technique that will get you faster or stronger is a better redirection of energy than just plain "effort".

Having said that, sometimes people do just need a good kick up the backside!!

No comments:

Post a Comment