Friday 11 October 2013

A short bit about me and the the birth of an idea.....

The concept of this blog was born whilst sweating up Pen y Fan in the Brecon Beacons with a 20kg backpack on in the rain. It is amazing what a brisk walk in Wales in the clag and rain can do for the creative juices. Perhaps it is the mind's way of distracting from the elements!

Being the grand old age of 34 and having competed to a high level in a multitude of sports spanning 16 years, including running, cycling, triathlon and Muay Thai (amateur and professional level). I am interested in lots of sports, for the bits and pieces you can take away from each. I am now more of a Jack of all trades of sport/competition. I am still however very much in the sporting game and I now have the benefit of wisdom! (some less polite might just called this "age"!).

Working in the world of Strength and Conditioning (S&C) and currently in my second year of my MSc at UEL, I was trying to think what my next sporting challenge was going to be. I wanted a physical but also cerebral challenge that would be exciting and which would hone skills that were useful and applicable to other sports. I am very much of the notion that to learn you must do. Most of my knowledge of sport and fitness has been obtained by training and competing myself and making the mistakes.

So here we have it, an agreed undertaking with myself, to commit to various 3-6 month fitness projects. Things I have never done, which will challenge (all those involved!) in a multitude of ways. I will be seeking the best advice for program writing and motivation! Suggestions be will most welcome. I will post the training, the how, the what and the why and of course the good, the bad and the sheer ugly! in the hope it will provide information and perhaps inspiration to others. You know what they say "if he/she can do it, then....."

Bragging Rights

Surviving a training camp in Iten Kenya (2400m altitude) in an "attempt" (not successful) at qualifying in marathon distance for London Olympics 2012 to represent Belize. At times I thought I was running backwards, but of course that is Einsteins relativity for you, running against the Kenyans! You know when the local butcher runs faster than you in his welly boots that this is going to be hard work!

So that sums up for purpose of this little experiment. Now for Project no. 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment