Friday 11 October 2013

Project 1: The Fan Dance Brecon Beacons 18th January 2014

This idea doesn't seem too off the wall for any that knows me. My idea of a good time is putting on a backpack and wandering off into the hills, wearing suitably inappropriate clothing. Usually to be spotted wearing neon Nike Free all year round.

The Fan Dance is part of the SAS selection test week, where the proper military guys have to carry considerably more weight than us civvies. The loaded march for this event will be 35lb for men and 25lb for women.

It is a 24km trot, going over Pen Y Fan 886m, the highest peak in South Wales, down to the far side of Taf Fechan Forest and back. That description of a route pretty much sums up my excellent nav skills! Even with a talking sat nav, GPS, map and compass I still have the unique ability to get lost and very rarely can you "phone a friend"!

This weekend I will however be attempting to learn the route which I have walked many times! in the hope I will recognise it in rain, bog, snow, ice and more bog, which is how it will look on January 18th!

I'm hoping to nail this between 3hr50 and 4hr30 after training, (weather dependent), so we'll see. I shall post my "baseline" attempt + 10hrs for nav!

Here is a slightly tired looking me trying to train in the Altitude Chamber at what I thought was 2600m but was told as a "joke" it had been moved up to 3500m. Thank-you very much.

Hint to self: PACK PROPERLY. A powerbag is an absolutely dismal way to distribute load.
www.thefandancerace.com



Enchanting (in the sun!) Talybont Reservoir


No comments:

Post a Comment