Monday 11 November 2013

Project 2: Bodybuilding goes glam

My saturday night was spent watching half naked men and women on stage at the WBFF (World Beauty Fitness and Fashion) show at the 02 in greenwich, part for research for my show and part support for Tirell, my trainer who was competing (Top 5 finish, amazing!).
This is bodybuilding at it's most glamorous. The categories for women include; Diva bikini model, Diva fitness model and figure. The categories for men include; fitness model, muscle model and bodybuilding.

The words I can probably think of to describe the stage actions go way beyond just posing. There was definitely some jostling going on and so by the end of the night I think my new opinion of this activity is it is most certainly a sport.....a blood sport and these men and women are most definitely athletes.

My plan is to compete in one of these shows next year in the category - figure. I have to admit my knowledge is still fairly poor but I think the fitness model category have to perform a gymnastic act.....er no. I can already hear the sound of my hamstrings snapping. Posing half naked in diamante will be enough of a humbling experience for me.

I'm slightly annoyed because all my preconceptions and prejudices about bodybuilding are wearing thin and don't really stand up to rigorous testing now. Of course, this comes from lack of understanding or perhaps lack of will to understand. Training for aesthetics has never really occurred to me so it puts me in a whole new different frame of mind. There are many layers to people and so you can choose what you want to, but when you really try to see it all, actually there are some very very impressive things about the men and women that compete in these shows.

  • Firstly, you have to "strut" in very little and be open to a huge amount of scrutiny about your body. So confidence is a most or perhaps should I say resilience. You can run but you can't hide! I won't be running anywhere in those shoes....
  • Obtaining the body is one thing and then you need to be able to show it off, so walking well, learning to pose (a lot of isometric muscle action going on) and the fake tan! I was very happy to see the 2013 version of this is a lot more natural and acceptable than what I remember of watching Arnie in pumping iron. 
  • It's evident that you can't cheat being on that stage. Physically or mentally it is totally unforgiving. You can't fake being in great shape and you can't fake the confidence required to be up there. There is NO escape from just plain graft in the gym and the kitchen. 


Andreia Brazier: Pro fitness model. Do I get sympathy about the heels now!

Me: The same but different! I'll get there. 

I'm lucky enough to work and train around some really good fitness models in the industry and actually they are just really nice, confident, not arrogant, with a good work ethic and approach to training and people. Anyone that gets up on a stage or in a boxing ring or equivalent, you lose that arrogance because as soon as you step in, you are about to get an onslaught of judgement and yes possibly hurt, both in ego and physically. I think the "punch" equivalent in a show is a face plant wearing a themed outfit.
So, I am the one that eats humble pie... and I swallow my words and judgement! Actually for the next 6 months I don't think I'll be eating any pie!

I was really impressed by the number of amazing looking men and women that had worked really really hard. WBFF is quite a glamorous show, think bling, bling bling. The women I thought looked strong, fit, sexy and feminine. I think that is a great advert for women's fitness so on that note I shall get onboard. Work outfit now to include, spandex and clear plastic 6" heels and not trainers  "Strong"!!






No comments:

Post a Comment